If you’re pregnant with two or more babies, congratulations from 4D Scan! This occurs when two eggs are released and fertilized (fraternal twins) or when one fertilized egg splits (identical twins).
You have a higher chance of multiple pregnancies if you have a maternal family history; you are over the age of 35; you have had fraternal twins before; if you are on hormone therapy or have had In-vitro fertilization (IVF); or if you are of African descent.
Signs of a multiple pregnancy:
· When you have your blood tested, the HCG levels may be extremely high.
· You may have exaggerated symptoms (extreme nausea - hyperemesis).
· A large for dates uterine size.
· More weight-gain.
· Feel more movement and often earlier than with a singleton pregnancy.
The best thing for you and your babies is to take care of yourself. It is important to
· go to all your doctor’s appointments;
· eat healthy;
· get lots of rest;
· don't smoke, use drugs or alcohol;
· and take your pregnancy vitamins.
Risks with a multiple pregnancy:
· You are at a higher risk of developing pre-eclampsia (high blood pressure).
· Gestational diabetes (a type of diabetes that occurs only during pregnancy).
· Intra-Uterine Growth Restriction (IUGR).
· Pre-term delivery.
· Higher risk for miscarriage.
· Certain genetic disorders.
· Twin-twin transfusion Syndrome (TTTS), where twins share a placenta (monochorionic).
These risks may or may not happen to you, there are many ladies who have had problem-free multiple pregnancies.
Most often, natural birth is not advised because of the more serious complications that can occur and therefore most doctors advise a Caesarean Section. If you give birth naturally, the first baby usually isn't a problem, it is when the next baby or babies are lying breech or transverse where complications arise.
4D Scan is more than qualified to do a diagnostic scan on your multiple pregnancy. Contact us with regards to multiple scans.